This post will discuss different solutions to fix the Game file download error in Genshin Impact. Regardless of its immense popularity, Genshin Impact is no different when it comes to bugs and issues. From crashing issues to startup issues, there’s a lot going on with Genshin Impact. But among all, the problem that has been discussed lately is the error downloading game files. When the error occurs, you will see the following message.
Error downloading game files. Check your internet settings and try again.
What causes Genshin Impact game files download error?
The Genshin Impact game files download error is not version specific, i.e. it occurs with every game update. This means that the problem has something to do with it. with the system rather than the game itself. Here are some of the common reasons why you are having the problem in the question.
- Running the game without administrative privileges makes you vulnerable to different issues including the ones you are currently facing.
- If the game is blocked in Windows Firewall settings, you will face the problem.
- Weak or unstable internet connection is considered as the main reason for the mentioned problem.
These are some of the common reasons triggering the problem. Now let’s see how you can eliminate them.
Fix Genshin Impact game files download error
Below is the list of effective solutions to attempt to repair the impact of Genshin Error downloading game files.
- Check internet connection
- Run the game in administrator mode
- Add Genshin Impact to Windows Firewall Whitelist
- Switch to Google DNS
- Use VPN
- Unpack the game files manually
- Try network reset
Now let’s see all the solutions in detail.
1]Check internet connection
As the message says, the problem has something to do with your internet connection. If you are connected to a weak or unstable connection, it is not surprising that you are experiencing the problem. As a solution, check your internet connection speed and stability using any connection checker website.
2]Run the game in administrator mode
If you run Genshin Impact without administrative privileges, you will regularly face different issues including an error downloading game files. To fix the issue, you will need to run the game with administrative privileges. Here are the steps to do it.
- Right-click the game’s exe file and choose Properties from the context menu.
- In the Properties window, switch to the Compatibility tab,
- Check mark Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply > OK.
That’s it. Now restart the game and check if you are still facing the issue. If not, you are good to go. But if the problem still persists, try the next solution on the list.
To fix: Network error code 4206 on Genshin Impact
3]Add Genshin Impact to Windows Firewall whitelist
Windows Firewall is often the main reason behind different issues associated with gaming. Ultimately, if the firewall settings are blocking the game, you’ll still end up close to crashing issues and the one in question. You will need to whitelist the game in Windows Firewall to fix the issue.
Go through the process and check if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, try the next solution on the list.
To see: Windows Tips, Tricks & Troubleshooting | TheClubWindows
4]Switch to Google DNS
Another effective solution you can try in the situation is to switch to Google’s public DNS. It is one of the best domain name servers (DNS) to play online games including Genshin Impact. So, switch to Google’s public DNS and check if it fixes the problem.
5]Use a VPN
Sometimes using a VPN to download the game can be an affected solution to fix the problem. This is the best solution you can try if the problem is caused by the Genshin server in your region.
To see: How to remove black bars from games
6]Unpack the game files manually
For most users, the issue was resolved when they manually unzipped the downloaded game files. By default, this operation is performed by the Game Launcher. But you can perform the process manually to get rid of the problem. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Go to the Genshin Impact folder.
- Manually unpack the compressed file downloaded by Genshin Impact to the same location.
- Open the folder where the file is extracted.
- Launch the game and check if the problem persists.
Lily: Computer keeps restarting when launching or playing games
7]Try network reset
If none of the steps helped, you can reset network settings. Doing so will reinstall all network adapters and configure network components to their default settings. You can reset the network by following the steps below.
- Open the Settings window by pressing Windows + I hotkey.
- Click on the Network & internet option present on the left panel of the screen.
- Choose Advanced network settings.
- Click Network Reset.
- In the next window, click the reset now option.
- Confirm your selection by clicking Yes in the prompt that appears.
How to fix Genshin Impact crashing issue?
The Genshin Impact crashing issue mainly seems to occur on an incompatible system. So, make sure that your system meets the minimum system requirements to run the game. In addition to that, download the latest graphics driver update to fix the issue.
Read more : Genshin Impact not launching on Windows 11.