Google Meet, formerly known as Hangouts Meet, is one of the most popular video conferencing services from tech giant Google. The app and website was officially launched in March 2017 and gained popularity in early 2020 as the whole world was affected by the Covid-19 pandemic and home and remote working began.
Google Meet is available for download on Android via Google Play Store and on iOS via App Store as a free app to download. However, for PCs and laptops, the company hasn’t released a dedicated app for Windows or macOS. That’s where the company’s progressive web app comes into play. In this article, we will see how to download the Google Meet Progressive Web App (PWA) on the computer, but before you start. Let’s see what a PWA is.
Also read: Google Meet: How to change the background before and during a Google Meet video call on computer and Android mobile
What is a Progressive Web App?
Google Meet PWA can only be installed on laptops and PCs. To install the PWA, a machine must be running Google Chrome version 73 and above. PWA support for this Google Meet app is available for Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, and Linux OS. The PWA and Google Meet have the same functionality. They update automatically when you update your Google Chrome browser.
Also Read: Google Meet Will Only Offer 60-Minute Group Calls For Free Users, But It’s Still More Generous Than Zoom
How to download the Google Meet app on Windows or Mac?
- Open your laptop and go to meet.google.com on your browser
- In the search bar, at the top right of your browser, there will be a PC download icon
- Click on the icon (see image)
- A new pop-up window will open with “Install app?”
- Click on the “install” button
- The application will be instantly installed on your Windows/Mac and will open in a new window
Also Read: Google Meet: How to Record a Google Meet Video Call with Audio as a Participant on Laptop and Phone
How do I open the Google Meet app on Windows or Mac?
- Click on the Meet app in the document or just search for “meet” on Windows
- Join or create a meeting
If you want to open from a browser on your computer
- Go to meet.google.com or a green meeting room
- In the browser bar, tap Open app
- Select Google Meet then Open
- The Google Meet app will open on the screen
If you join a meeting from a calendar event, you will be taken to the green meeting room. Here you can simply open the app from the browser.
Here are the simple steps to download the PWA app on your laptop or PC. Let us know what you think of this process and will it be helpful to you in the coming days.
Also read: Google Meet: How to change your name in Google Meet on PC, Android Mobile and iPhone
Thanks for reading till the end of this article. For more informative and exclusive technology content, such as our Facebook page