Minecraft is a popular game that constantly receives updates and improvements. Players can build almost anything in the worlds they create. With so many people wanting to play Minecraft, downloading it is the first step in the process, and players should keep it updated to get all the new features.
Here’s how players can safely download and update Minecraft.
How Players Can Download and Update Minecraft on All Platforms (2022)
Downloading Minecraft on any system is the key to starting a wonderful adventure. Players will be able to download Minecraft on Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S, Nintendo Switch, PS4 and PS5, Windows 10 PC, Mac, and Android and iOS devices.
Each of these device families has a slightly different way for gamers to install the game. Here’s how gamers can install the game on each.
Download on Windows 10 PC
Players can install the game on their PC quite easily by following these steps:
- Go to the official download site and download the file for Minecraft for PC
- Once downloaded, run the setup file and install the game
- Once the game is installed, it will open the launcher
- Players need to login to the launcher and then they can launch the game
Download on macOS
Players who wish to play on a Mac computer can download the Java Edition by following the steps below:
- Go to the official download website, which will prompt players to enter payment information and purchase the game.
- Upon purchasing the game, players need to install the launcher for macOS. This will then download the launcher
- Follow the steps to install the launcher on the Mac
- Open the launcher and login, once inside they can then play the game
Download on Nintendo Switch
Players who want to download the game on Nintendo Switch can get the game in two ways: they can buy the official cartridge, bypass the download step, or go to the Nintendo eShop to buy the game. Players should follow the steps below. below to download the game:
- Players need to log in to Nintendo eShop
- Once in the Nintendo eShop, players should search for Minecraft
- Once the game is available in the store, players will need to purchase the game from the eShop
- The game should start downloading to the player’s console
- Once the game is downloaded, players can select the icon in the system tray and launch the game
Download on PS4 and PS5
Players who want to download the game to PS4 or PS5 can get the game as a physical disc, which will automatically download upon inserting the disc, or they can purchase a digital copy from the PlayStation Store. Players need to follow these steps to download the game:
- Players can head to the PlayStation Store on the main menu
- Once inside the store they should scroll down to the search menu and search for Minecraft
- Players must select Minecraft and then purchase the game to install.
- Once purchased, players must then start downloading and installing the game
- Once installed, players should select the Minecraft icon from the app tray, which will launch the game
Download on Xbox One and Series X | S
Players on Xbox One and Xbox Series X (Series S doesn’t have a disc drive) can download the game or get a physical disc. When using a physical disc, the game will be installed when the disc is placed in the system.
However, if players need to download the game, they will be able to do so using the Microsoft Store directly on their Xbox and following these steps:
- Players should head to the Microsoft Store from the main menu
- Once inside they should head to the search menu and search for Minecraft
- Players must select Minecraft, then purchase the game and download it (unless user has Game Pass, which is included)
- Once the game is purchased or unlocked with Game Pass, players can download it
- Once the game is downloaded and installed, players can select the Minecraft icon from the app tray to launch the game.
Download on Android devices
Gamers who want to download the game to their tablet, phone, or compatible Android device are in luck. Downloading the game is easy by following these steps:
- Players must launch the Google Play Store
- Once inside they should search for Minecraft
- Once located, players will need to purchase the game and download the file
- Once the game is downloaded, players can click on the app icon to launch the game
Download to iOS devices
Downloading the game on iOS devices, such as iPhone and iPad, is quite simple. Players can easily do this by following these steps:
- Players should head to the App Store
- Once in the app store they will want to search for Minecraft
- Players will need to purchase Minecraft, and the download will begin
- Once the game is downloaded, players can tap the app icon to launch the game
Keep the game up to date with regular updates on all devices
Keeping the game updated after downloading it is a way for players to use all the bug fixes, improvements, and latest features added to the game. The process differs slightly for each device, but players will want to follow the guides below in order to keep their game fully up to date.
Update on PC Windows 10 and MacOS
The advantage of having the game on a PC or Mac computer is that when players need to launch their game, they need to open the launcher. The game will be able to update directly in the launcher and prompt them about an update. Just accept the update download and the game will be updated to the latest version.
Update on consoles
If the game has automatic updates, the game will update on launch. However, if the player has not activated it, they will receive a prompt to update to the latest version when launching the game. Simply accept the prompt to start downloading to the latest version of the game.
Update on Android and iOS devices
Similar to consoles, these devices are usually set to automatically download updates when the device is plugged in and connected to the internet. Players can also manually download updates by checking the Google Play Store or App Store when they receive an update notification. Both methods will ensure that players always have the latest version available for download.