Knowing how to download Steam on Windows will allow you to do more on your computer than just browse the web and watch videos. This will unlock the full potential of your PC.
Steam is home to the best PC games (opens in a new tab)and even if you don’t own one of the best gaming PCs out there, you’re still guaranteed to find plenty of titles on this PC gaming rig that will still work flawlessly and give you hours of fun.
Indeed, one of the biggest hurdles for people wanting to play games on their PC is that they think it’s not powerful enough. But you don’t need to have the latest graphics card or even a powerful processor to play a lot of titles. Plus, Steam has a bunch of games that don’t cost a dime, the selection of which we’ve covered in our guide to the 10 best free Steam games. (opens in a new tab).
So, if you are ready to join the wonderful world of PC gaming, here is how to download Steam on Windows.
How to download Steam and install it on Windows
Note: Steps 1-3 will be the same on Mac!
1. Head to the Steam download page (opens in a new tab)then click on INSTALL STEAM.
2. Choose where you want to save the Steam configuration filethen click save once you have finished.
3. Navigate to where you just saved the Steam configuration filethen double click on the file to open it and begin the installation process.
4. The Steam Setup program will now open. You will be asked to choose your preferred languageand also to choose the location where you want to install Steam. After making these selections, click install on the last page to install Steam.
5. Once the installation is complete, click finish and Steam will open, making sure the box by Run Steam is checked. You can also remove the Steam installer file now if you wish, since it is no longer needed.
6. You will need a Steam account to log in to Steam and start downloading games. Click on CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT if you are a new user, or click on LOG IN TO AN EXISTING ACCOUNT if you already have one.
You should now be ready to go. Browse the Steam Store tab to see what games are available.
Now that you know how to download Steam on Windows, you might want to check out or recommend the best PC game controllers or the best gaming keyboard. And if you’re really committed to the cause, check out our guide on how to build a gaming PC for beginners.
Just received a Steam Deck and wondering how to use it? We have you well and truly covered. Start by reading the basics, such as how to enable desktop mode on Steam Deck, how to take a screenshot on Steam Deck, and how to format an SD card on Steam Deck. When you’ve mastered them and are a little more confident with your Deck, check out the Advanced User Guides, such as how to enable performance overlay on Steam Deck, how to customize the controller layout on Steam Deck, and how to change the keyboard theme. on SteamDeck.